Pages

Sep 19, 2011

The Rhythm of My Life

Lets talk about Rhythm.

A movement or procedure with uniform of patterned recurrence of a beat, accent, or the like.

What's my Rhythm?  Some people would argue its a slow and steady Rhythm.  I think I might tend to agree with that.  Generally speaking, I am not in the biggest hurry to get anywhere.  I have even been told once or twice that I am one of the slowest people around.  And while most people walk to the various places they are going, I sort of plod along, to the beat of my own drum (so to speak).

Oddly enough, this is not the point of this post.  Perhaps someday I'll expound upon my slowness, but I'm not in any real hurry to do so.

What I'm really talking about is the Circadian Rhythm.  Its that biological clock inside that tells me because its dark outside I should be getting tired.  And when the sun comes up I should be starting to wake up.  There is plenty of information about all this on the web.  Of course, one of my favorite places to gather information is Wikipedia, where one can learn almost anything from the largest user created reference site on the internet.  You can check out what Wikipedia has to say about Circadian Rhythms here.  And for those of us looking to for a visual reference, here is what I have.
I don't know that I can back this up as the most accurate visual representation available, but I can tell you there are certain parts of this Rhythm chart I think are quite accurate.  However, I think it best to avoid those details for the time being.

So why all this talk about Rhythms?  Well, mostly because I'm back to working a night shift.  Night shift.  Ugh.  Nearly 13 years ago, when I started my chosen profession, I checked a little box that said something to the effect of this:

You understand and agree to work a rotating schedule, which includes weekends, holidays, and nights.

Hmm, I'm not sure I really thought that through back then.  I started working nights, way back then.  I think I actually liked working nights.  But I was younger then.  Then I moved to Humboldt.  and I continued to work nights.  And I continued to like it.  Some people love it.  I work with people who haven't worked a day shift in the entire 10 years I have been here, and probably even long than that.  I don't know how they do it, really.  I think it would just about drive me nuts.

I like sleeping at night.  I like being awake during the day.  But it is is what it is.  And so for the next four months I'll become nocturnal.  I'll be awake with the owls.  On my days off I'll be home, watching movies or playing games until the wee hours of the morning.

And to be sure, I'll be whining about it (just a little). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You went to all the trouble to get yourself here, you might as well say something about it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails