Pages

Sep 18, 2011

Running, and running, and running.....

Its Thursday.  Thursday morning, to be specific. And what does that have to do with anything? Its simply one day closer to running 5.75 miles down a combination of Scenic Drive and Clam Beach.  Yes ladies and gentlemen, its time to start thinking about the Trinidad to Clam Beach Run.
 
I don't know exactly what motivated me to do this last year, I guess I was just trying to find something new and different.  Last year I was able to say, "I have never done anything like this before."  Or I could say, "I've never run this far in my life."  But now I have.  So now what do I say?  "Been there, done that."?  I don't think so.

In fact, I'm not sure I have ever said, "Been there done that."  Well, now with any real conviction or seriousness.  But I do feel like I need to say something. 
How about, "I can't wait to do it again."

Last year, about this time, I had decided I was a bit of a bum.  I didn't do much, I was a little overweight, andI was not in any sort of physical shape what-so-ever.  And so I set myself a goal and a training schedule, and low and behold, I completed my task with astounding success.

I completed the run in just over an hour.  For those of you are running buffs, and have to know a a pace time, that's about an 11 minute mile.  Ok, Ok, I realize that isn't any sort of earth shattering record.  
However! It is a personal best. And whats wrong with that?  Nothing as far as I know.

So lets spend a moment of time addressing the feeling of accomplishment:
Yeah, I think that should say enough.  I couldn't believe I had run about five miles at that point, and I had about three quarters of a mile to go.  And I will tell you, that long trip down Clam Beach seems to go on forever.

That was about eight months ago.  Since then, I have gotten fairly lazy.  And so the training regimen begins anew.  So to start, I'll be hitting the treadmill on a nearly daily basis.  I'll be working the elliptical as well.  And hopefully, in no time, I'll be running the long stretch of Scenic Drive to Clam Beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You went to all the trouble to get yourself here, you might as well say something about it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails