Pages

Nov 8, 2008

Where have I been, and what haveI been doing?

Where the heck have I been? Its been almost full week since I actually had the time to sit down and post something, anything.

The most pressing question is, "What have you been doing, that you are so busy?"

And the sad truth is, I can't account for much, really.

But let me hit on a few highlights.

First off, election day has come and gone. I believe I registered to vote along with selective service, when I turned 18. Having said that, I have shirked my civic duties since. I don't have any grand, anti-establishment ideas that kept me from the polls. I think it was really just shear laziness. I didn't bother to learn about the issues. I didn't bother to get involved. I didn't feel strongly enough about the issues that I knew so little about in order to go and cast my vote.

Then I moved to Humboldt and never bothered to register to vote here. S0, nearly 7 years after moving here I found myself suddenly empassioned about a few ideas that were on the table. A veritable smorgas board of propositions and measures that directly effect me or people I know. So I sent my information in to state capital and got myself listed as a registered voter.

I'm not going to preach about what should have passed, what didn't and anything like that. To say the least, this election cycle left me happy and sad at the same time. Some of the things I voted for passed, some didn't. That's life in a democratic society. I may not like it. But I can live with it.

I do feel a certain amount of accomplishment in voting. One of the founding principles this country was founded on was giving a voice to the people. I let my voice be heard. I took part in a very old, and traditional way of making sure my government works the way I am wanting it to. So good for me and all those who made sure to go to the polls.

Second, hmm.... And secondly..... This is where I am at a loss, really. I don't know that I have done a lot to even comment on lately. Take today for example. Its cold and raining. It doesn't lend itself to any real meaningful activities, other than getting wet and catching a cold. Its been this way for about a week now.

So it seems I don't have much to say right now. That's not a bad thing really. It just reminds me that maybe I need to get out more often.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, good for you. It does feel good to be involved in the process. For a long time, I have believed in the old saying, "If you didn't vote, you have no right to complain." Keep it up, and even consider donating time or money to the cause you support. You won't regret that either. --Dad

    ReplyDelete

You went to all the trouble to get yourself here, you might as well say something about it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails