Pages

Oct 28, 2010

Weekend Update

Well, as is usually the case when a person goes a week and a half between posts, there is a certain amount of catching up to do.  And so it is, with a whole lot of pomp and circumstance, I will jump right into the meat of two different subjects.

Update Numero Uno:

About two or so years ago, I came to the conclusion it would be necessary to remove the deck from the back yard.  There was actually a two part post about this whole subject at the time I started the project.

You can refresh your memory of Part 1 and Part 2 by clicking the links respectively.

This last weekend, my father-in-law and I decided to tackle the project head on and get it finished.  In part 2 of the refresher coarse, you could see a pretty nicely laid out square, with a wooden border and gravel filling.  This was quite an undertaking at the time, and the half finished project was actually better looking than the deck itself.

Over the course of 2 and half years, though, it became rather unfinished looking.  But money and time kept getting in the way of progress.  But now, the money was there, and oddly enough so was the time.  And I had a willing helper there in the form of a father-in-law. 

The bulk of the project took the better part of three days.  A full yard of gravel and nearly 2 full yards of sand, and 167 12" x 12" paver stones.  And thus, we have the finished project.

Over all, I couldn't be much happier with the project.  Of course, as the guy who did the main bulk of the paver laying, I could sit and tell you all the little imperfections in the finished project.  But instead, I will tell you how much nicer the yard looks.  And, if you'll not the to BBQ's offset  from the side of the patio, I'll take a lot of the credit for.   I wanted my BBQ's on the new patio, but didn't want them taking up a lot of room on the patio itself.  So we made the simple addition.  And now, I can grill in comfort.  As time goes on, I plan to get some patio furniture and fire pit as well.

Its a welcome addition to our backyard, and a tremendous improvement. 

Update Numero Two:

The quest to complete a 5 3/4 run continues.  My plan of action seems to be on track at the moment, and after this week (of about 2 miles at a shot on the treadmill) I'll be upping the distance to about 2.5 miles at a shot.  I can see the finish line now.  Its a little far off, but its completely attainable.  
More to come in the near future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You went to all the trouble to get yourself here, you might as well say something about it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails